Friday, September 11, 2026

Monty, the flying mouse

 I wrote this little illustrated book with reading age 7-8 which I hope will also interest slow readers of up to about 11 - just putting in two of many illustrations

 

An ordinary, little brown mouse lived in an ordinary, big brown tree, in a very special wood.

 

He did not have a name, because he was an ordinary mouse who did not need a name.

 

One day, he heard music, and came out to see what was going on.

 

There were fairies dancing, because it was a magical wood!

 

The fairies were celebrating. They threw around a lot of fairy dust, and giggled. Fairies often giggle.

 

Some of the fairy dust fell on the mouse, and he felt very strange.

“My name is Monty,” he said to himself. “My back is sore!”

 

 

Suddenly, Monty realised he had grown fairy wings.

“The fairies will be angry,” he thought. “They were careless and their queen will punish them.”

 

“I will fly away,” thought Monty. “How useful my wings are!” He smiled.

 

Monty found that he could do fairy magic, too, and he used it to help people.

 

One day, he came to an old cottage where there was an orange cat, who looked sad.

 

“I am Monty, the fairy mouse. Who are you, and why are you sad?”    asked Monty.

 

“I am Cecil; my human has died and I have nobody to look after me,” said Cecil.

 

“Oh, dear! I don’t know what to do,” said Monty.  

 

“I wish I had wings, like you,” said Cecil.

“Let me see what I can do,” said Monty. “Oh!” his magic made little wings all around Cecil’s neck.

 

“Never mind,” said Cecil. “You tried.”

“I can do better,” said Monty. And this time, Cecil shrank to be a bit bigger than Monty, and grew wings.

“I can fly!” said Cecil.

 

“Do you mind that you are small?” asked Monty.

“No, I like it. We can be friends properly,” purred Cecil.

So they were.                        

 



 

6 comments:

  1. Looks great, I know just the girl I'd like to get it for. When do you expect to publish it?
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Should be out next week; I'm expecting the proof on Monday, along with Simon's cold war poems and anecdotes which is his birthday, so fingers crossed that he can get the proof for his birthday

      Delete
  2. Cute! I can see them having lots of adventures...

    ReplyDelete