Tuesday, September 3, 2024

murder in oils 16

 

Chapter 16

 

 

Simon drove far enough out of Lashbrook to find a pub serving food, and they ate.

“I’ll drop everything off at the Yard on my way back tomorrow,” said Alexander, with a yawn. “I’ll see if Ida can find me the paintings of Helen for David to pick the best.”

“Sleep, son; curl up on the back seat, there’s a blanket,” said Simon. “Otherwise you’ll be exhausted by the time you’ve racketed back to Oxfordshire from Essex again.”

“I will,” said Alexander. “Thanks, Papa.”

“You’re my boy,” said Simon.

 

Alexander slept all the way home, and scarcely remembered falling into bed. He awoke refreshed to breakfast brought by Ida.

“You shouldn’t be in a man’s bedroom,” he chided.

“But it’s my fiancé’s, and I am leaving the door open,” said Ida.

“Ida, did you bring all your best dresses?”

“No, I hadn’t got room, you know that. Why?”

“I’m going to ask Gladys if she’d like to be a lady for a few nights and go to some parties, as an ingenue, and see if we can catch Jonathon at it,” said Alexander. “He knows you and he might be suspicious. He doesn’t know me, and Gladys can be ladylike enough when she puts her mind to it.”

“Won’t it be dangerous?”

“Yes, and it’s another reason I don’t want to risk you. If Gladys has one cigarette, it’s not likely to hook her. If you are forced to smoke one, I don’t want to think of the consequences.”

Ida flushed.

“Do you think me weak-minded?” she snapped.

“No; I think you’ve had a dependency on those vile things which, like an allergy, can be rapidly re-awakened, because it has affected your body,” said Alexander.

“Oh!” said Ida. “I’m sorry.”

“You had every right to query me,” said Alexander. “But trust me on this; I’ve seen it in society. It’s like alcoholics. If they can give up drink and are offered liquor, one drink is both too much and never enough.”

She nodded.

“I see,” she said. “Take care; and look after Gladys.”

“I will,” said Alexander.

 

Ida had sorted out all the pictures of Helen; three of her on her own in different styles, another with Gloria, where Gloria was definitely a handmaiden to the great lady, waiting on her in the classical setting beloved of Alma-Tadema, and one with David.

Being Basil, it was in the style of the Pre-Raphaelites, with David as a Viking, and Helen gazing at him adoringly.  On the back, Basil had scrawled, ‘Thor and Sif.’ He had exaggerated the length of Helen’s blonde hair, as Sif was known for her long golden locks; but if the necklace she wore was intended to be the Brising necklace, it looked rather modern.

“The necklace was one which David gave Helen,” said Ida. “Basil always called it ‘Brisingamen,’ to David’s annoyance, but it is a lovely one of them as a couple. David does well as a big, brainless god of thunder, doesn’t he? But Thor could be quieted by gentle Sif, so it’s actually a good choice.”

“Basil painted right to the heart of people,” said Alexander. “Thor is looking on his wife in adoration.”

“His satires are wickedly well observed,” said Ida. “And I bet the one of you on the tank was because you were a bit pompous at him.”

Alexander laughed, flushing.

“I was,” he said. “I got over it.”

 

 

He kissed her tenderly, before taking his leave, and as he had said he would, took the evidence he had amassed to Scotland Yard.

“So, there is something in it?” asked Superintendant Barrett.

“Oh, hell, yes, and it ties in with those drugs being smuggled and distributed,” said Alexander.

“You always fall on your feet,” said Barrett. “What, if any, help do you need?”

“A couple of lads inserted into Fringford, and some watching the London abode of one Jonathon Grantham,” said Alexander. “I don’t know, but I suspect he may also have a pad in Oxford city. There’s going to be a party in Oxford tonight, as it happens, and I am planning to gatecrash, hopefully with a partner. And a few extra bobbies around wouldn’t go amiss.” He filled in his chief on what he was anticipating, and details of time and place, and drove on to Lashbrook feeling much happier that there would be official backup.

 

oOoOo

 

“Hullo, old chap, what kept you?” asked David.

“Traffic, and I had to stop off in London for a spare part,” said Alexander, mendaciously. Unless you counted ordering extra bobbies as a spare part. “Yes, I could have got one elsewhere, but the man who understands my car is in London, and I trust him.”

“Oh, well, it’s Italian, isn’t it? Should have bought British,” said David.

“I considered a Hillman, but I had a Lancia before, and I like it,” said Alexander. “Sunday not too stressful without me?”

David laughed.

“Any day without you is less stressful,” he said. “I do miss Ida, though, but not her quarrelling with the other women.”

“Ida doesn’t like to be pushed around, by people who have no right to do so,” said Alexander. “She takes gentle caring bullying from my mother; even submitted to breakfast in bed, yesterday.”

“I am glad she’s with your mother; sounds as if she can actually handle Ida,” said David, in profound relief.

“Like a dream,” said Alexander. “Listen, I have been collecting a lot of evidence, and I know who killed Helen and Basil, but I am not going to tell you. I want to make a big pinch, and I’d really like you to keep yourself to yourself as much as possible. It runs very deep. Can you trust me on that?”

“Certainly; keeping out of the way of all of those ruddy women seems a good idea, as long as Miss Truckle is going to be fine. She was quite ill after the gassing.”

“Perhaps you should suggest that Anna moves into Ida’s room to keep an eye on her – which is also out of your suite,” said Alexander. “I need to borrow Gladys for the evening, to make a demonstration over... various things.”

“Over how Helen was killed?  I can accept it, old boy.  Yes, take her to do whatever you want. I’ll rephrase that, put your eyebrows down; you’re marrying my sister!”

“I’ll ask her to help pack for Ida and talk to her in privacy there,” said Alexander.

 

Lunch was slices of pork and egg gala pie.

“Marvellous of you to have managed to get this ready for us,” said David, to Gloria.

“Oh, it’s not hard,” said Gloria.

“So long as you took the labels off,” murmured Alexander.

Gloria glared at him.

“I do my poor little best to help you out, David,” she cooed.

“Oh, you’re a force of nature,” said David. “What a waste you’d have been as a chemist, dealing with smelly chemicals, not delectable food.”

“Oh, I’d enjoy doing both, making scents and bath crystals to sell for my own little endeavour,” said Gloria. “But, of course, I can’t do that as a housekeeper and not married, it lacks security in my position.”

“I wasn’t about to turn you off because there’s no longer a mistress of the house; you don’t care for that, do you?” said David.  “It’s Anna they pointed fingers over, and she’ll be going as soon as she has another situation. Though actually, Anna, if you’d move into Ida’s room, you can keep an eye on Elinor Truckle for me, Gladys is going to empty out Ida’s things this afternoon.”

“Mr. Armitage wasted no time in setting up a love nest,” said Gloria.

“I don’t really know what you mean by that, Wandsworth,” said Alexander. “My betrothed wife is staying with my parents. Are you trying to spread untruths about Ida? I don’t suppose David likes you blackening his name any more than I do.”

“No, I damn well do not,” said David.

“Oh, I meant nothing by it!” said Gloria, hurriedly. “I meant to tease Mr. Armitage for working faster with Ida than on the sad business of death in the house. It was too easy to make Mr. Armitage rise.”

“I think you are forgetting your position in the household,” said Alexander. “Remember, I am close to being Mr. Henderson’s brother-in-law, and a pert tongue on the housekeeper cannot be seen as pleasing.”

“I do the job, but I am next to family myself!” flared Gloria. “Helen made me promise that if anything happened to her, I would take her place in looking after David!”

“Haha, just as well she didn’t ask you to take her place in all things!” laughed David. “Why, the idea of you as my wife is just too risible for words!”

“And why is that?” asked Gloria.

“I don’t like you,” said David. “As an employer to employee relationship, that doesn’t matter, but marry you? Gad, no! You’re loud, brash, obnoxious, pushy, and managing, and what’s worse, you look like a horse.”

“Harsh,” murmured Alexander. He might have wished that this quarrel had not happened so soon, but it was going to happen sooner or later.

Gloria went white, with two red spots of colour on her cheeks, and she turned and whirled off, all limping forgotten.

“I hope the cooking won’t suffer,” said David.

“It won’t; she imports it from Fortnum and Mason,” said Alexander.

“What, not really? Did you detect that?” asked David, amused.

“I uncover any number of trivial secrets when delving into more serious matters,” said Alexander. “I wouldn’t have mentioned it, as she plainly stays within the budget you set her, had you not been rightly concerned that the housekeeping would suffer for her being fool enough to expect a man who so adored his wife as you adored Helen to be ready to move on in a week or so, if ever.”

“You never saw us together.”

“I’ve seen the painting of you as Thor and Sif.”

“Oh! Basil had the most impish sense of humour. But they were a loyal couple. Is it any good?”

“It’s brilliant,” said Alexander, softly. “I’ve got several paintings, but I left them in the car; I thought we could look at them properly when I’ve wrapped everything up, so you’re under less strain.”

“Yes, I appreciate that, old man,” said David. “You’re not as unlikeable as I thought. I thought you were a stiff-necked do-gooder and interfering busybody.”

“That’s all right, I thought you were a stubborn, irritating tick who couldn’t change his mind on evidence if it was presented by St. Michael and all the angels.”

David laughed.

“We see each other’s faults clearly but perhaps we can manage to be better brothers because of that,” he said.

“Making profound statements plainly runs in the family,” said Alexander. “We’ll irritate each other no end, but at least we can be frank about it.”

“Ida cooked everything she served, didn’t she?” said David. “I suppose you wouldn’t consider settling here with her in charge when you get married? I can’t see Gloria staying long.”

“I’d hate the idea, because I loathe your modern house,” said Alexander. “I grew up in a house which actually has secret passages, and it has poky little corners that go nowhere and have no efficient usage, and I love it.”

“You really would be suited to Heywood Hall,” said David. “I tell you what, I’ll make you a gift of it for a wedding present, and you can move in when the current lease is up.”

“Thank you; that’s generous,” said Alexander. “Now, let me speak to Gladys about packing Ida’s room up; what I don’t take can be stored for now, so poor Miss Truckle has someone to keep an eye on her.”

 

 

oOoOo

 

“Gladys,” said Alexander, “Are you up for some danger?”

“You want me to blackmail Miss Wandsworth and see what happens?” asked Gladys.

“Oh, you’d got that far?”

“Well, Drew – Campbell, that is, was doing the photography, and which shoe fit that nasty bruise is clear enough,” said Gladys. “I think she tried to gas Miss Ida, too, and she wasn’t half so adoring of Mrs. Helen below stairs as above.”

“The servants’ hall always knows,” said Alexander. “You’re a bright girl, Gladys. Do you think you could manage to be a flapper for an evening?”

“If you wants me to, sir,” said Gladys. “Why?”

“I want to round up the people who gave Ida those opium cigarettes, before arresting their leader,” said Alexander.

“Oh, she never did!” gasped Gladys, putting her hands to her mouth. “Her and her nasty smelly room?”

“Oho, you are quick,” said Alexander. “But I don’t want to lose the rest of the gang.”

“No, sir, of course you don’t,” said Gladys. “What do I have to do?”

“Pick some of Ida’s jewellery and a party dress, some of her silk stockings, and can you fit her shoes?”

“If I picks a pair of soft ones, kid, or silk,” said Gladys, dubiously. “She has little feet.”

“What about Helen’s?” asked Alexander.

“The master....”

“We won’t tell him, and I doubt he’d notice,” said Alexander. “She was ethereal but stately.”

“She had long, thin feet like me,” said Gladys.

“Her clothes would fit you better, too, but I wager they might be recognised,” said Alexander.

“I ain’t much wider’n Miss Ida, her skirts might be a thought short on me.”

“Well, as long as it’s not too outrageous, that might not be bad,” said Alexander. “There’s that dark blue thing she wore my first night here; can you manage that?”

“If I tear it, reckon you’ll replace it for her,” said Gladys, philosophically. “If need be, I’ll take out the side seams and tack it to my indigo Sunday gown.”

“Well, that’s your duties for the rest of the day, you can throw Campbell out and change in there,” said Alexander. “I’ll go steal a pair of shoes for you, and this evening you’ll come out of the studio French windows. Don’t forget furs!

“Yessir,” said Gladys.

 

4 comments:

  1. Sarah, remember the podcast I told you ablut, "Wirds Unravelled".

    Well today, It is About "Insults".

    I hope you will enjoy it.

    I want you to use, "you cummberworld" in R&F !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. isn't that Chaucerian and a little early for them?

      Delete
  2. A nice team building for the future with Campbell and Gladys to aid Alexander and Ida.
    Will be looking out for the waifs and strays to be adopted.
    Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, and probably as a couple, even better.

      LOL!

      Delete