Saturday, July 13, 2024

quester amongst the flowers22

 Poor old Toddles is still emptying his gut a bit at a time, I am so glad we brought him in, I fear he might have died of toxic shock with all that clogging his system in this lousy weather. gives me more appreciation for the sufferings of those in the year without a summer, and the wet an miserable year before it, 1815, where I have set the wip

 

 

Chapter 22

 

Erman marvelled that the Justiciar sat down to breakfast in his shirtsleeves like anyone else, and chatted to the girls who had brought breakfast as much as to his own staff, Burdock, a girl who must be Unchosen, and two men and a women who might be lictors or Jurisprudentors from their technical legal conversation.

“What do you want me to do?” he asked Quester.

“I understand that you are something of a financial wizard,” said Quester.

“I am considered good in my field,” said Erman.

“I want you to work with Peet Cayman to present the evidence of three heists which have also bank fraud at their back, in such a way that it is apparent that the Patrician defendents knew exactly what they were getting into. Their defence is that everyone defrauds the government and there is nothing wrong with it. I’ve sentenced them, but I need a report on the matter.”

“Not a problem.”

“When you finish with that, I want everyone I am holding here examined for financial irregularities.”

“This is going to set a few cats among the canaries,” said Erman, beaming happily.

“So often a case may be down to the money-trail, which I can, laboriously follow, but having someone who is happy with financial affairs will make my life much easier,” said Quester. “Kiliana does my personal finances, which is a relief, but she’s no accountant.”

“Money,” said Kiliana, “Is only relevant if [a] you don’t have enough, or [b] you have so much it’s only a way of keeping score.”

“Essentially, true enough,” said Erman. “Which is how I came to annoy the Justiciar; I have enough to pay off any fine, and I got lazy. My mistress, by the way, ducks her head and mumbles grace at meal times. I found it amusing, but seeing you take it seriously, and thanking Abe that we not be short when so many are is actually moving.”

“My thanks; it cannot have been a pleasant night for her. You will go with Burdock to release her, and apologise for not having spoken up sooner.  I am afraid she is out of a job as well, so you had better write her a reference too. Unless you trust her to see to your wife’s estates whilst she is in a retreat?” said Quester.

“Actually, yes. So I will give her a chit to do so. I think she could manage mine; I have no knowledge of my secretary’s beliefs. I have never asked.”

“Well, I must see Zadok, as soon as possible. Burdock, no, Purity, release the young lady, let her shower, and be ready to take her back to the residence in... an hour. That way we can drop her off on the way to see Zadok.”

“I have some essays to write, but if you want me along, I can write in the rotordyne,” said Kiliana. “Or fit them in later; it’s sports day.”

“My dear, you are aching to get in the pool; I won’t keep you. Besides, there is no reason for you to come, save to meet Zadok, and that can happen any time.”

Kiliana came forward, touching his chest, and he put his arms around her.

“I am looking forward to swimming,” she said. “I enjoyed it so much on Araklion.”

“My dear, are you enjoying school?” asked Quester.

“On the whole, yes,” said Kiliana. “Why?”

“I wondered if you preferred the idea of taking two or three years as a schoolgirl, to enjoy what’s left of your rather tattered childhood... or not,” he said, hastily, looking at her horrified face.

“Leo, it’s fun for a change,” said Kiliana. “But these children are so young! I have to curb my tongue all the time. I would be bored within a few weeks; I can learn everything they learn by reading the text books, and I got a list of all three years’ books. I am behind with current affairs, but only because you take no notice of politics, and don’t make me do so. I should keep up, I suppose. Otherwise, I’ve readily caught up and surpassed the others.”

“I am glad,” said Quester, kissing her forehead.

“Would you have waited for me?”

“Of course.”

“I am glad you did not make the decision for me, though. I would not be me when I came out; I’d likely either be a gasbag-head like them, or old before my time for the effort of not offending them too much,” said Kiliana. “I know you don’t kiss in public, but can we just...” she lifted her face, and he brushed her lips with his.

“That has fortified me for the day,” he said.

“And me,” said Kiliana, with a sigh of happiness.

 

oOoOo

 

Quester paced up and down on the carpet, the one concession to luxury in Zadok’s austere office.

“... So you see, my lord, I am a little puzzled as to how to proceed with heresy trials, for those whose education in the love of the Blessed Abe has been so lacking that they cannot be considered anything but heathen,” said Quester. “It’s because of that damned stupid marriage law.  All the elite Xk married to people they found, in the greater part, totally unsuited to them, and whom they detested. I have one woman who was taken to the bed of her own father! I don’t know what else is going to emerge, and I felt I had to ask your wisdom and guidance in the matter.”

“Quester, stop pacing, and sit down,” said Zadok.  “I can’t cope with all that feline energy so early in the morning.”

Quester laughed self-consciously, and sat down opposite the most senior Justiciar in the world.

“You understand my dilemma, though, don’t you?” he asked, plaintively. “I have forty-eight patricians from the elite Xk in a secret location to stop them getting sprung before I have a chance to question them....”

“How many?” Zadok was nonplussed.

“Forty-eight. I don’t have room really for much more than that at a time, so if there are some I can release as guilty only of concealing heresy, I can move in on others implicated by my prisoners. But  only because I think they need help and education! They are passing on the idea that the Blessed Abe is only a construct of the Administratum to make the masses more compliant!  This is what is being taught to the peer group of those infected in finishing schools!  My ward was pushed, face-first, into her dinner and openly mocked for saying grace!”

“Abe’s Bollocks!” said Zadok. “Forgive me for thinking that you had gone off on a wild trip of heresy hunting with little cause – you are not like that. No, I should realise... and you say it is a matter of a lack of instruction... Yes, I can well see that those growing up with the results of the marriage law would feel displaced, and would question any faith they heard about; and how can the love of Abe be taught in households where love does not exist? It is so true, so true. I will have to have a law drafted to call those touched by the marriage law into classes, unless those already sentenced by you... I am sure you have your own unique ideas?”

“I’ve taken Erman Stayvuhsantus as an assistant, to teach him myself,” said Quester. “His wife, as I understand it, needs a healing retreat.”

“The one used by her father?”

“Even so.”

“Yes, the Sisters of Loving Balm will no doubt be perfect for her. They are gentle souls, but able to be firm for the patient’s own good.”

“Thank you, my lord; I was uncertain where to send her, your advice is excellent.”

“I will come and help you to examine your forty-eight, and see how many we may release, and how many more are implicated. Have you put any to the question?”

“No, but Kiliana and her friend enacted some loud dramatics last night,” said Quester, an unruly smile escaping to touch his lips.

“Did it work?” asked Zadok.

“It did on Erman, who opened up and told me all about his childhood,” said Quester. “It was a revelation. I have not had time to question any more since, nor did I want to without your advice for this unprecedented situation.”

“Yes, I can imagine. This could be disastrous if the Electric Zarr came to hear of it, and exploited it for his own purpose.”

Quester made the sign of the eagle to ward off such a threat.

“You will help me?”

“Yes, and I will make sure that all the generations of the marriage law debacle have compulsory instruction, if need be with Psion invasion and compulsion,” said Zadok. “I don’t want it to come to that, but better than that the commons be robbed of their only comfort, the knowledge of the love of Abe, if they are targetted through these poor heathens by the godless Commutants. The entire structure of the Empire trembles, for the apostasy of those central to our culture. And the Judiciary have been complacent over assuming that it is in the periphery that we need have concerns, not those right at the hub of Imperial rule.”

“Thank you, my lord,” said Quester. “I am glad you take it as seriously as I do, and do not write it off as unimportant, as many of the teachers at the school Kiliana is currently attending seemed to do. She caught the deviant, by the way, but this matter arose, and I felt it had to be pursued.”

“Well, well,you are correct, and I will pick up my overnight bag and be with you presently.”

“We should be back in time for second breakfast, which is meagre, but at least they have porridge,” said Quester.

“Porridge will do perfectly well,” said Zadok.

 

oOoOo

 

Kiliana looked with interest on the austere figure of Zadok next to Quester at the breakfast table. She could see why Quester revered him; he had the same kindness to his eyes that Quester had, and the same look of gentle resolve. She addressed herself to the kippers on toast under poached egg which she had been handed by Marilyn, when she went to the buffet to see what there was. She was looked at askance by the other girls, and ignored them.

Zadok and Quester were being given similar fare, as was the principal; the rest of the staff must make do with scrambled egg.

“Why do you get different food?” complained Lutsilla. “Not that I’d want such hearty food for breakfast.”

“Bribed the kitchen staff,” said Kiliana. “What, haven’t you ever considered making sure the servants were on your case in the right way? I didn’t realise you were that stupid.”

Lutsilla subsided into offended silence. Kiliana laughed, finished her breakfast, and went to change. They opened with physical jerks in the ballroom, the gymnasium being in use, and Kiliana went through the warming up exercises. They were in the pool next!

 

Miz Peta watched in sheer delight as the new girl flung herself fearlessly off the high board, somersaulting and twisting into a clean, deep entry. She was unaware that Quester had taught Kiliana to dive, from the high cliffs he knew stood above deep water – warning her to be sure she knew her depth – and she had done exactly as he asked because she put her trust in him, and in the Blessed Abe to keep her safe.  Kiliana enjoyed her morning, and used some of her leisure time after the noon meal to swim some more, as more than three girls signed up to swim and dive, which was the rule.

She had a good day.

 

Quester was happy to feel Kiliana’s pleasure at the edges of his consciousness, and it buoyed him up during his much less pleasant day.

With the help of Zadok, he managed to process all of his prisoners, releasing those who had been caught up with their employers, and often worshipping on the sly, or at least claiming to do so.

“You were right about them being heathen,” said Zadok, sorrowfully. “I will have an edict issued that the teaching of faith and history should be adhered to more rigorously in the private schools to which these people send their children, and enforced daily corporate acts of worship, so that they are second nature. And more basic instruction.  The six families whom, I presume, are the worst must have supplemental compulsory lessons, which will double as therapy for their experiences.”

“I’ve been getting good results by asking, ‘At what point in your childhood did you feel so abandoned by the Blessed Abe that you stopped believing?’ and many of them, softened up by a frightening imprisonment reverted directly to childhood fears.  I’ve been cuddling them like children, and I think you will need someone who is good at therapy and who will truly help them.”

“Yes, and I think they should all gather at least once a week in the home of one of them, in order to worship, and discuss their experiences.”

“Doubtless it was all little family secrets, not to be revealed,” said Quester, with distaste.

“Almost certainly,” sighed Zadok. “I suppose you want me to handle the political fall-out which is bound to ensue?”

“I don’t know where to start,” said Quester.

“You should learn,” said Zadok, sternly. “You are my choice of successor.”

Quester swallowed hard.

“I wish you a long and productive life, my lord,” he said.

Zadok laughed.

“You’ll learn,” he said. “You should take more interest in politics as a matter of course, anyway.”

“Yes, my lord,” said Quester, bowing his head in acquiescence.

“You know I’m going to have to find you a post a long way away for a while?”

“Well, it did seem a good idea.”

“If Erman Stayvuhsantus is a willing ally, and he seems to be, he will be an excellent aide to you as an envoy,” said Zadok.

“An envoy? Where?” asked Quester.

“To the Commutants,” said Zadok.

“What? But why do we need an envoy? They are the enemy,” said Quester.

“First Consul Bertramus Gordonion Depestus wants to open diplomatic channels in order to try to achieve a cease fire long enough to rebuild resources, and to spy,” said Zadok. “He tied it up in clean linen, but it’s what he means.  They use their mutants but kill Psions, so you will have to be careful, though of course, you and your entourage will be covered by diplomatic immunity.”

“Lovely,” said Quester.

“You could explain to the consul why you have been conducting investigations into the heresy of the first families instead, if you prefer,” said Zadok.

“I’ll brave the Commutants,” said Quester.

“I thought you’d volunteer when asked nicely,” said Zadok. “One of them is his cousin.”

“You’re ruthless, my lord.”

“Why, yes.  Justiciars have to be,” said Zadok.

 

 

2 comments:

  1. I wish Quester were supporting the rights of heathens and heretics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As he sees it they are a danger to themselves and to the stability of the empire. this is what he is.

      Delete