Wednesday, April 24, 2024

black falcon 8 that wasn't the last of Jed Burrows

 ok, I may be on hiatus for a while, I am writing the one after this. we crashed very badly after the tension release.


8 That wasn’t the last of Jed Burrows

 

The weather resumed late autumnal sunshine as if nothing had ever happened.

“A bit like a maiden lady trying to live down having farted during the sermon,” said Luke to Sam.

“I don’t say it’s never happened, but I never knew a maiden lady put on such an innocent face as this here weather,” said Sam. “No, siree! It ain’t in the least bit embarrassed for the sort of chilly fart as would take a mort o’ cucumbers to inflict on any old maid’s posterior.”

“Cucumbers repeat the other way,” said Luke, mildly.

“Not the way they took my granddaddy,” said Sam. “Left alone at home, he’d eat a whole jar of pickles, along with a good chunk of cheese, and you couldn’t hear yourself think in the evening after that. Grandma used to send him out to explode in the thunderbox, until he’d passed them through, and threatened never to make pickles no more. But o’course, she did.”

Luke chuckled.

“My grandparents came out to visit, once, from England, but they have their own lands there,” he said. “I never met my daddy’s people.”

“It can’t be easy for first generation settlers,” said Sam. “What’s that boy, Frank, hollerin’ about now?”

The boy Frank, liberated from the unkind service with the saloon keeper, and enjoying running about in the street now the storm was over,  pelted into the marshal’s office.

“Mr. Sam, sir! Mr. Chesterton’s hanging a couple of men he says he caught stealin’ on his lands; he come into town for the rope now the weather’s settled!”

“The hell he is!” said Sam. “Come on, Luke, my lad.”

 

The Chesterton ranch was a few miles out of town, and Chesterton had gone ahead with his rope. Sam and Luke took best pace, and breasted the hill looking into the valley of the ranch.

“We’ll be too late,” said Sam, with a hiss of distaste, seeing that there was a rope slung over an apple tree bough in the ranch yard, and the noose already about the neck of one man.

“The hell we are,” said Luke, sliding off Blackwind, to kneel on one knee, with his Winchester. “Keep going and call on them to stop; if you don’t, I will.”

“Can... stupid question,” said Sam, riding on.

The allowance for windage was very little; since the blizzard it had been almost flat calm, as if to make up for the wild wind of the storm. Luke sighted through his telescopic sight, and as the men ran away with the rope tail, stretching the rope and heaving up their prisoner, he breathed in, held it, and fired on the out-breath, neatly severing the rope. His shot echoed around.

One thing shocked Luke, however; the face of the man being hung was the terrified visage of Jed Burrows.  Presumably the other lad was one of his friends.

Sam was shouting and waving at Mr. Chesterton, who appeared not to want to take any notice. Luke took a bead on the man’s hat, and shot it clean off.

This appeared to drive the message home, and Chesterton almost threw Jed towards Sam.

Luke rode down to join them.

He was in time to catch some of the conversation.

“We didn’t steal nothin’ but some wheat kernels to chew on, and some beans, because we were hungry,” said Jed. “We ain’t thieves!”

“Your fathers were,” growled Chesterton.

“I don’t understand,” said Jed.

“Your father was amongst those who came to take goods by force from our townsfolk after the blizzard,” said Sam, grimly. Chesterton nodded.

“Yes, and the sins of the fathers shall be visited on their sons....”

“Stop right there, Brad Chesterton,” said Sam. “Everyone who isn’t a total fool knows that what the Bible means there is the French Pox.”

“I can’t believe my pa stole!” said Jed.

“Well, there ain’t a lot of difference between your pa wanting to grab food from our people and you trying to steal my wife’s self respect like that damned gunslinger,” growled Sam. “I wager you’d not like a gang of cowboys to hold you down and take your ass because they felt like it. It ain’t no different. But I won’t have you hanged out of hand, you nor your friend. I’ll take you in, and if Mr. Chesterton wants to swear a complaint about you stealing a few handfuls of grain and beans then he can come to the lock-up and do so.”

“It ain’t a handful of grain and beans, he’s been rustling my sheep,” said Chesterton.

“What? I haven’t been near your sheep,” said Jed.

“Show me your hands, boy,” said Luke.

Jed, cowed, held them out. Luke took off a glove and felt his hands, and sniffed them.

“The boy hasn’t touched a sheep any time in the last two days,” he said. “And before then, nobody was likely to be able to do anything with sheep. Where were your sheep during the blizzard? You brought them in to a barn, of course; has someone let them out?”

“I... why the hell should I be expected to bring them in?” blustered Chesterton.

“Because I warned you, you old fool,” growled Luke. “I warned everyone. Mr. Hill spoke of it in his sermon and warned everyone to get their animals in. If you won’t take my word, and that of a man of God, and if you lost your sheep scattered and killed by the blizzard, you deserve it; but you can’t go blaming these two. Now, are you going to swear a complaint about some stolen food?”

“No.” Chesterton almost growled the answer. “Get them off my land.”

“We’d better take them back and feed them, as apparently we aren’t even welcome to help look for straying sheep,” said Luke. “Who’s your friend, Jed?”

“I’m Bart McGoven,” said the other boy. “The others said they’d go back to town when the wind struck; we decided to see if we could find some place to shelter and we stumbled into the side of that barn there, and we sort of fell inside it and sat out the storm as best we might.”

“And we watered the horses, because nobody came out of the house to do it,” said Jed.

“Reckon Mr. Chesterton owes you more’n a few handfuls of corn and beans,” said Sam, glaring at the sheep-rancher. “Saved his hosses for him, you did. Reckon that’s worth a week’s wages apiece for a good hand, and I reckon he’s going to hand over ten dollars apiece and another five each for good will.”

Chesterton went purple.

“Now, you see here, Sam Stubbins...” he began.

“No, you see here,” said Sam.  “I catch you in the middle of bloody murder. I find out you’ve been neglecting your hosses.  Not to mention those poor sheep. You’re a piss poor excuse of a man, but you’ll pay these boys their dues; and it’s something for them to start on.”

Grumbling, Chesterton handed over some notes, which Sam gave to the two young men. Sam and Luke rode back to town with the youths, whose horses were in the barn; and Luke strongly suspected that if Chesterton had had his way in hanging them, then he would have kept their horses and tack.

“Mister,” said Jed, “You could have left us to his mercy, knowing we was after coming to bushwhack you....”

“I don’t know any such thing, but if you were, care to tell me why?” asked Sam.

“We... we felt done out of our dues,” said Jed. “My pa told me that once a woman has been had, she’s filled with burning lusts, and we thought she’d need plenty to tame her. And... and I want her so bad.”

“Well, your pa lied,” said Sam. “Come on, Jed! You’ve heard tales about men using boys, haven’t you?”

Jed nodded.

“It made me feel sick,” he said.

“Well, if your pa’s logic was true, don’t you think that it ought to inflame you with lusts for other men?” said Sam.

Jed gasped.

“It’s a violation,” said Luke. “Same as what was done to Mrs. Lucy. She didn’t enjoy it because he did it to hurt her. And I doubt she’ll be ready to be a wife in more than name for a long time because of the fear and the pain. Now, you’ve touched the fear of being helpless when he had you in that noose; it’s not anything beside what a woman suffers when being used.”

Jed went white.

“Why did you save me?” he asked.

“Because the rule of law says that every man is innocent until proven guilty, and that every man is entitled to a fair trial before the law,” said Sam. “Whatever my personal feelings on the matter about you two would-be rapists. You were prevented from becoming criminals and so you’re walking free today after a taste of Luke’s whip instead of being hanged for raping my wife. You ought to think on that some time you want to bushwhack anyone. It marks you as a coward, too.”

“We should get home if we ain’t under arrest; our pas will be worried,” said Bart.

“I wasn’t lying when I said your fathers came to steal,” said Sam, harshly. “They tried to set fire to the town, and pulled guns on us. Neither of you has a father; but then, all the folk under my care have their family unmolested. And if your fathers encouraged you to bushwhack a lawman, you’re better off without one.”

The youths looked at each other.

“Dead!” said Bart.

“What are we supposed to do?” said Jed. Both youths seemed more shocked than grief stricken.

“I’ll give you some supplies, to go back and see what you can salvage, and then, if you can’t run your daddys’ lands or business, you’d best put them up for sale and we’ll find you jobs in town,” sighed Sam. “So long as you apologise to Lucy.”

“I... yes, if it’s like you say, reckon we owe her one,” said Jed, shamefaced.

“I’ll ride over with them when they’ve had something to eat,” said Luke. “I’ve a bad feeling about letting them go alone.”

“I don’t argue with your feelings,” said Sam.

 

oOoOo

 

The youths said little on the ride to Redtown. They had stumbled through an apology to Lucy, and seemed to have run out of words since. Silence did not trouble Luke; he supposed they had a lot to sort through in their own minds. It occurred to him that, when they had him on their own territory, they might turn on him; but he placed his trust in God and in doing what his feelings told him was the right thing to do.

He was glad he had gone. He followed Jed and Bart into town, where a few hollow-eyed people were loafing about in the street.

One man, one of those who had got away when they came raiding, gave a yell.

“Jed Burrows and Bart McGoven! They’re undead! Come back to accuse us! We gotta put a stake through their hearts an’ stones in their mouths!”

The other townsfolk murmured assent and started to converge on the terrified boys.

“We ain’t undead!” yelled Jed. “We sat it out in a barn!”

“You’ll see!” said the one who had spoken up. “When we put a stake through them, they won’t bleed.”

He, however, did bleed as Luke’s whip struck him across the chest.

“Are you a godless idiot or merely a stupid one?” sneered Luke. “They were in a barn on the outskirts of Eastbend.  What would you do if you put a stake in them, and they bled? Apologise to the corpse? Or are you venal enough to want to kill them and take their daddys’ lands and goods?” He turned to the youths. “Get what you want of your own stuff, and any moneys if it’s been hidden, and anything or anyone else you want, and we’ll go back to Eastbend where they aren’t bedevilled with rapacious greed and a want of human kindness.” He paused. “Except for Chesterton and the saloon-keeper. Either one of those would skin a flea for its hide and tallow.”

“I want to fetch my sister,” said Bart. “When Jed has his stuff, will you come on with me? We’ve a plot on the other side of town.”

“Oh, the one from the schoolhouse. A couple of years younger than the schoolmistress,” said Luke. “Might have been teaching there if this had been a year later.”

Bart went ashen.

It had come home to him, at last, the iniquity of what they had tried to do.

 

Jed soon had all he wanted; and Luke played with his whips, showing what he could do.

They rode out of town.

The claim shanty stood open.

“Becca!” cried Bart.

“Bart!” The barn door opened. “You’re alive? Pa said you was dead. He went off raidin’ and he never come home.”

“Becca!” Bart ran to her.

She was a girl of about 14, with the same sandy hair as Bart, and Luke recognised her as the one girl in the schoolroom when he had killed Cathcart. Luke and Jed followed Bart into the barn.

“I didn’t think I could keep the house as warm as living in the stable, and there are pitchforks and things to keep folks away,” said Becca. “Oh! It’s the man who shot that man!” She put her hand to her mouth.

“Pack,” said Luke. “I don’t trust those brutes in town not to try to take everything from you. If you’ve a wagon, we’ll fit it up as a prairie schooner, and take what livestock we can. I can drive as well as I ride; we’ll go around the town.”

“We haven’t much, we hadn’t settled long,” said Bart. “Just the cow, a few goats, and the chickens. And a hog.”

“Jed, ride back to Eastbend, and tell Sam I’m stayin’ over to fettle up a prairie schooner and some crates for animals,” said Luke. “And we’ll be gone early in the morning. Is there anything else you want from your house?”

“Only to see the whole damn town burn,” said Jed, viciously. “Telling me I’d be a real man if I made it with the schoolmarm....”

“Real men don’t have to rape,” said Luke.

“Aye, well, I’m beginning to learn that,” said Jed. “Bart, if there’s anywhere to settle, will you take me on as a hand?”

“You’ll marry Becca and be my brother if I have any say in it,” said Bart.

“And what about my say?” said Becca, hands on hips.

“You could go further and do worse,” said Bart.

“Well, if he knows why I was furious with him about wanting to go on shivaree with that in mind, he might be growing up,” said Becca, with a sniff.

“Good girl; you tell them,” said Luke. “Like my sisters, you are!”

Becca regarded him.

“I think that was a compliment,” she said.

“It was,” said Luke.

Jed rode off, and Luke began fitting hoops on the wagon.

 

Luke went looking for another wagon, and filched one from under the noses of the townsfolk. They thought stealing was fair, after all. The pig, goats, and chickens all went into this one, whilst Becca, trying not to cry, packed up their house. She had taken most of the bedlinen into the barn already, and had but to pack it in.

“You won’t be able to do anything until spring,” said Luke. “I reckon you could be the jailor at the marshal’s office and kit out one of the cells as a bedroom as easily as try to build anywhere before the winter comes on.”

“Jed’s a carpenter, but he wouldn’t manage it in time, even if we could afford it,” said Bart. “I won’t be spooked by sleeping in a jail cell, will you, Becca?”

“As long as it’s warm enough in a blizzard,” said Becca, dubiously. “But it has to be warmer then living in the wagon.”

“There’s a fireplace and a cookstove in the marshal’s office,” said Luke. “You’ll probably sleep in there during a blizzard.”

“Oh, so long as there’s a fireplace,” said Becca, relieved.

“There’s a kerosene stove as well, for the prisoners, outside their cells, of course, but it could go  in one, and the chimney out of the window,” said Luke.

“Well, we’ll soon have it cosy,” said Becca, in determination.

“What has made Redtown so bad?” asked Luke, puzzled. “Not the same people as here in Eastbend, surely?”

“The most of the settlers came out of the Appalachians after the war, as sodbusters, looking for new opportunities, and riches untold for nothing,” said Jed. “We moved in a few years ago. They... they were all pretty violent, and Pa just... went along with it. The sheriff didn’t care two hoots about the odd necktie party, and Pa said I’d just have to learn to be tough and deal with it.”

“My pa taught me that you get where you want by hard work, sweat, and grit,” said Luke. “I’ve been training with whips since I was four years old. Likewise with swords, knives, and guns. I roped my first steer when I was six, and rode my first bronco a year later. I fell off and broke my arm and my father whopped my rear with his slipper before my mother set my arm for rolling where I might have made the colt break a leg.”

“A harsh father!” gasped Jed.

“No; he put it like that because I’d remember if I was worrying about the horse. He told me later he was scared to death I’d get my head stove in,” said Luke.  “But I broke in the colt.  He’s a good horse, isn’t he?” he indicated Blackwind.

“He is,” agreed Bart.

“He bites,” said Luke. “But he only nips me in reproof because he knows I’ll bite him back.”

Another family, of sorts, for Eastbend, reflected Luke; and maybe Jed would grow up to make a half-decent deputy, if he trained him over the winter.

And judging by the state of health of those in Redtown, it was likely to be a ghost town before much longer.

There were innocents there, but he couldn’t take on the woes of everyone.  And at least two troublemakers looked as if they had been turned around.

48 comments:

  1. Nice redemption for Jed and Bart. Good future plans too.

    We will miss the daily chapter if you need some time, but your health is more important. I hope you can continue sooner rather than later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you. very few youngsters are bad all through...

      I managed to finish part 1 of the next one! so that will be up tomorrow, and hoping to do some more of it. Not sure how many parts it will be, likely 3 at least.

      Delete
    2. I'm looking forward to more of Luke, a worthy son of the Cossack and his nightingale. I'd rather wait a bit until you are both feeling better, instead of pushing to get more posted now.

      Delete
    3. I enjoyed writing, and I've been having fun on Night Cafe making pics, even though they've been frustrating at times in not recognising riding tricks.... dragons, trolls, werewolves, yes, cossack riding tricks, no.... go figure! but it's great therapy and I recommend. https://creator.nightcafe.studio/collection/ftevPrQoAEZneoSmujHA

      Delete
  2. “Everyone who isn’t a total fool knows that what the Bible means there is the French Pox.”
    Some creative exegesis here, but a better suggestion than the literal interpretation, especially in the circumstances.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it is the sin which does visit potential damage to future generations - that and maternal alcohol abuse, something of which I am aware, having had an 'auntie' [second cousin] with fetal alcohol syndrome. Luke just wants to shut him up, and would invent theology if he had to!

      Delete
  3. stupid question,” said Sam. To himself / under his breath

    Here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No? it is fine as it stands. We've all started to ask a question and acknowleged it as stupid, haven't we? and he acknowledges it to Luke, not to himself nor under his breath. He's a big enough man to do so.

      Delete
  4. Oh Luke doing that shot just reminded me

    I read western books set in this time period in my teens from my brother

    There was a well know western writer who a series about a very short cowboy with HUGE confidence, leadership, etc. And a few confederate if his.

    Calamity Jane and that other Femake Shooter wee also in some stories , in part at least, more in others.

    They were holed up in house, with enemies outside, and one of the "good" group went for a long shot.

    Calculated distance, wind, anything else needed.

    Then shot.

    Got a pht.

    He hadn't checked his bullets and had run out!

    Don't member anything else about this group of good vigilantes/ or whatever they were.

    Just that one scene.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! though if he's a pro that sounds a bit unlikely, unless he'd been firing and miscounted, which I suppose is possible in the heat of battle.

      Delete
  5. stealing a few handfuls of grain and beans

    Comma here, I think

    ReplyDelete
  6. Because I warned you, you old fool,” growled Luke

    Umm, Sarah,

    There wasn't time to warn in church about the blizzard.

    This paragraph doesn't make sense.

    They ran in from getting hay, and itvwas Saturday, then the storm from Saturday to Sunday and Monday, and it cleared Tuesday morning.

    I guess the Redtown brigade came Wednesday . Though Tuesday is possible as they would have been drinking all the time the storm as blowing

    And we don't know if this is Still the same week, so which day if it us, or after the next Sunday when Church could have happened.

    Nobody could have gotten any notice, apart from anyone in town as Luke, Ben, and Sam Stormed into town at breakneck speed.

    And that family they met.

    And Chesterton has had time to get the news about the Redtown brigade

    I'm going to read this para again, because I got this from Luke saying I told you , and church, etc.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. what do you mean? there was plenty of time. Luke turned up, beat up the shivaree party, and then spent more than a week helping to finish the log house and haul hay. It's not like the blizzard was the next day, is it?

      I have added the following to make that clear;
      Luke stayed on to pass on advice on keeping warm, and stocking up, helping the sheriff and the banker to haul hay from the prairie. The day after the wedding was a Sunday, and Mr. Hill issued the the warning in church, to make sure all his congregation were prepared.
      The next week, Luke put his back into helping make the log cabin weather-tight, and in hauling hay. The weather all week was glorious, and the hay was golden and rich. Luke almost wondered if he had been making a mountain out of a molehill; but he was still uneasy.
      So you see, there was a week to prepare for the blizzard. And Chesterton would have come to church to show off his finery if nothing else. Otherwise, apart from visiting the saloon, he doesn't bother. he sends a hand to shop for consumables, but he gets the news.

      Delete
  7. didn’t enjoy it

    Comma, here, please

    ReplyDelete
  8. in more than name

    Comma here, please

    for a long time

    And here, too

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. after time, I concur, the previous clause, only if one before it as well, and I don't think it needs an extra cluttering of commas

      Delete
  9. fear of being helpless

    Comma? I thinkn

    ReplyDelete
  10. beside what a woman suffers

    I think here too

    ReplyDelete
  11. prevented from becoming criminals

    Comma here please

    ReplyDelete
  12. taste of Luke’s whip

    Comma here, i think

    ReplyDelete
  13. has a father

    (I think ) anymore

    Or something else here.

    The way it is, means more that their fathers don't behave as fathers should,which is true, but in this case, their fathers are no longer alive, so I feel that extra word/phrase is needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither of you has a father anymore; they came on me and mine with firearms, and so we gunned them down. Tough luck on you, but then, all the folk under my care have their family unmolested.

      Delete
  14. It occurred to him that,

    I think the Comma should be BEFORE that, not after
    0
    Possibly both sides, should you wish

    ReplyDelete
  15. his trust in God

    I think Comma here

    ReplyDelete
  16. we’ll go back to Eastbend

    Comma here, please

    ReplyDelete
  17. been teaching there

    Comma, I think

    ReplyDelete
  18. Luke recognised her as the one girl in the schoolroom

    Luke already said she would have been teaching next year

    So possibly not "recognised" but something like confirmed in his mind

    Can't think of the correct word, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a girl of about 14, with the same sandy hair as Bart, and Luke was pleased that he had been right that she had been the one girl in the schoolroom when he had killed Cathcart

      Earlier, I said that Luke thought Bart looked like the one girl

      Delete
  19. My pa taught me that you get where you want

    "what" instead of "where" in here

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I said where, and I mean where. You get to the position in life you want. Not having mere things as implied by 'what'.

      Delete
  20. with his slipper

    Comma here,

    And

    before my mother set my arm

    Here.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  21. “A harsh father!” gasped Jed

    I think this should be BART

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow Sarah! IM keeping you awake!

    I'm.sorry, That was NOT my intention!

    I hope you are doing a touch better.

    And hopefully enjoying the sunny and hopefully dry(ish) days.hope you are both well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL I like to get them done asap. I have done a little writing today as well as some sleeping. It's lovely weather

      Delete
  23. Oh, sorry, forgot, I haven't read any if your replies to my comments.

    I'll be doing that a few weeks after I have read the last story.

    Thaybway, should I come across things, I wil have forgotten what I read, so a bit fresher eye. Like I am doing this second reading.

    Normally you give us so much to read one after the other, thst by the time I come back to read it here, you are publishing it.

    I wish you were not writing because you had PLANNED the break, not because you were poorly.

    Look after yourselves, both of you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. lol, I ran out of clever tonight and just left hearts on some.

      Thank you! I think the stress will take a while to clear completely but! we have a watertight house, no more mould, and are getting sorted.

      Delete